Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Can't Stand it Any More (Updated)

Can't leave that other recent post on the top of the page any more; it's been three days of "pussy" each time I look at the blog. So instead I'll point to this underwhelming bit of advice-giving about what to do when someone says, "I love you," and you say it back but don't mean it. The comments are what make this post so interesting: Someone asks, what's the difference between "like" and "love"? A commenter responds: "You like someone if you enjoy having them around you. You love someone if their happiness and well-being is necessary to yours."

Sounds like a good definition, you think?

UPDATE: When Amy Alkon dropped by and left a comment on this post, I took a look at it and realized how insulting it was, not as a result of wanting to insult her but by being a sloppy writer. So I sent her a little note to apologize, because I'm a big fan of her column and had enjoyed her writing from time to time via her late friend, the wonderful journalist and blogger Cathy Seipp, who passed away early last year. I told her that instead of "underwhelming" I should have written "a bummer, because it's the best you can do in a bad situation but still uncomfortable." No one wants to have to suck it up and do what they know they have to do, which is why (I suspect) many people write into advice columnists in the first place. Dan Savage is always answering people that they already know what he's going to say, and many times (if you're a long-time reader or listener to the podcast) that is true. And a good lesson for me - don't sound like a jerk unless you mean to be a jerk, because you never know who is watching.

1 comment:

Amy Alkon said...

The commenter who wrote that is the person who wrote the "underwhelming" advice.